Saturday, May 6, 2017

Worth the Splurge?: BH Cosmetics Blacklight Highlight, 6 Color Pallette Review

I recently got into BH cosmetics. I think their items are a good quality at an affordable price. I am not a highlighting girl. As much as I love to look at lovely ladies on Instagram and my favorite Youtubers rock amazing highlight, I just do not find it to look professional in most instances. It is something I cannot see myself wearing to work.

I think the Kat Von C Alchemist Pallet is so unique and beautiful, especially the colors and duo chrome sheen that I wanted to get it. However, $32 for 4 small pans seem very pricey. Most important of all one of the primary ingredients in Kat Von D alchemist is ethylhexyl palmitate. Most cheap make up has it, including BH. If I put that ingredient on my face in large quantities I notice it clogs my pores. Honestly if the Kat Von D did not have that ingredient I might have believed it would not clog my pores and would have splurged for it. I don't have a problem with it in eyeshadows as my eyelids don't really get clogged as the pores are super small, but on my face I notice it.

 I saw youtubers compare the Kat Von D to the BH Cosmetics Blacklight Highlight and as soon as the BH one went on sale I went and got it.


 No Flash (above picture)
Flash (above picture)

Please forgive me for getting some red lipstick in the palette! I paid around $13 for this pallet. It is very large in size compared to most highlighters on the market and the glow is pretty amazing. The container is a sturdy cardboard material. It has a magnetic enclosure.

Here are some swatches with and without flash:

 With Flash (Above Picture) Colors left to right: Electra, Laser, Kween, Strobe, On Point, Illusion
No Flash, Colors left to right: Electra, Laser, Kween, Strobe, On Point, Illusion

I am not sure if it is safe for consumption but I have used it to layer over lipsticks and eyeshadows and I love it. *Try this at your own risk*

I can't pull off bright red lip color well but I have 2 beautiful ones as gifts that I refuse to throw out. When I layer "On Point" over it, I get metallic hot pink! How gorgeous is that!

             No Flash                                                                     Flash

So first I did 6 strips of my Elizabeth Arden Rogue 01 Lipstick. Then I layered each one with a different color of the BH Cosmetics Blacklight Highlight palette.

 No Flash, Colors left to right: Electra, Laser, Kween, Strobe, On Point, Illusion
 Flash, Colors left to right: Electra, Laser, Kween, Strobe, On Point, Illusion
No Flash, Colors left to right: Electra, Laser, Kween, Strobe, On Point, Illusion

I added a strip of of the original color on top so you can see how the different highlighters changed the color. I really love this palette because it is so cheap and versatile. It made my unwearable red lipstick super wearable. I just can't seem to pull off the classic red without looking like a child who found her mother's lipstick.

Here are some of the layering done on the lips:

Elizabeth Arden Rogue 01 alone no layering
Elizabeth Arden Rogue 01 + On Point. This is one of my favorite combos!
Elizabeth Arden Rogue 01 + Electra
Elizabeth Arden Rogue 01 + Kween
Elizabeth Arden Rogue 01 + Illusion 
I did not do the other 2 shades, Laser and Strobe because my lips were getting dry from removing and reapplying the lipstick, but you get the gist. This palette expand your existing makeup collection to give you so much more looks. Great product, excellent price point. Highly recommend. I recommend you wait till it goes on sale. BH cosmetics always has sales, but I believe it is around $17 if it is not on sale, not including shipping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment